According to WebMD, a bruise is a common skin injury that results in a discoloration of the skin. But to you and I, bruises are painful spots that make your skin look funny. While some bruises can’t be prevented (the ones you seem to just find without any explanation as to how you got them), you can avoid bruising when getting facial injections.
How to Avoid Bruising After Getting Facial Injections:
Before Your Injections:
- Communicate everything with your licensed healthcare provider, including your medical history, any medications you’re taking, and your expectations of how the injections are going to go.
- Avoid taking any blood-thinning medication. These can include:
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids
- Don’t drink alcohol one to two days before your injections.
- Tell your provider if you have a cold sore near your injection site so he or she can prescribe something to get rid of it.
During Your Injection Treatments:
Avoiding bruising when getting facial injections depends, in large part, on who administers your treatments.
- Pick a licensed healthcare provider who is skilled in administering injection treatments and has a deep knowledge of facial anatomy.
- Ensure your provider has a gentle touch, as too rough of a hand can lead to discomfort and bruising.
- Have your provider numb the area of your injections as this can help prevent bruising.
- Ask you provider for an ice pack after your treatment to reduce swelling.
After Your Injections:
- Avoid alcohol for 24 hours after your treatment.
- Watch your heart rate.
- Keep your heart rate under 100 BPM.
- Avoid exercise besides walking for the next one to two days.
- Don’t do any inverted poses in yoga or do hot yoga.
- Avoid excessive sun, and wear sunscreen and a hat outside.
- Don’t massage the area of your injection site for a few hours.
- If you experience swelling, apply an ice pack for five to ten minutes.
- Continue to steer clear of blood thinning medications for two days. If you experience pain, take Tylenol.
Like we said, a good part of how you can avoid bruising when getting facial injections depends on your provider. At Kessel Dermatology, we have only licensed healthcare professionals administer your injection treatments to provide you with an experience that leaves you with as little pain and bruising as possible. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call us 609-890-2600.