In the modern day, Botox is among the most popular anti-aging treatments. Made from a microbial toxin called botulinum toxin, Botox injections are highly effective at reducing facial wrinkles and fine lines. But did you know that Botox has benefits which span far beyond the cosmetic realm? For instance, it can also be helpful in the treatment of chronic neck pain, muscle stiffness, migraines and excessive sweating. To give you some insight into how this powerful bacteria was integrated into modern medicine, we’d like to share the Botox origin story.
Botox Origins: A Famous Treatment’s History & Development
Here is a timeline which chronicles the evolution of Botox over the years, from the Botox origin to the drug’s modern-day applications:
- Botulinum was discovered in 1895 in a small village in Belgium.
- In the decades following the discovery, scientists worked to isolate the toxin. In 1946, Dr. Edward Schantz finally succeeded in doing so.
- Then, in the 1970s, scientists began using botulinum toxin in experimental treatments for crossed eyes (strabismus).
- The cosmetic application of Botox was discovered in the 1990s when Canadian ophthalmologist Dr. Jean Carruthers recognized that her blepharospasm patients had decreased frown lines.
- In 1992, she and her dermatologist husband published a paper and off-label use began.
Considering Botox for Wrinkle Reduction? Visit Kessel Dermatology
If you desire smoother skin and an overall more youthful appearance, Botox may be the perfect solution. The cosmetic dermatology experts at Kessel Dermatology can help you decide whether this anti-aging treatment is appropriate for you.
When you visit us for a consultation, we will explain how Botox works and what you can expect after receiving injections. We will also review your medical history to determine if Botox is a good fit for you.
If you’re interested in arranging an appointment to discuss Botox as a possible addition to your anti-aging skin care routine, give us a call at 609-890-2600. We hope you’ve enjoyed reading the remarkable Botox origin story, and we greatly look forward to hearing from you.