How it works
As we age, we start to lose collagen. Microneedling works by using small sterile needles to create tiny punctures in the skin. This stimulates your body’s own natural healing process to generate collagen and rejuvenate. The result is effective remodeling of scar tissue, improving the appearance of fine lines and skin tightening.
There are three phases to the skin-repair process:
- Phase I: Inflammation. Piercing the skin triggers your immune system to disinfect the wounds, remove debris, increase blood flow and begin to create new tissue.
- Phase II: Proliferation. The wound is rebuilt with new granulation cells, which are part of the extracellular matrix. Additionally, a new network of blood vessels develops.
- Phase III: Remodeling. The wound is replaced with new dermal tissues and blood vessels.
This process is safe for patients of all skin types/ skin color and requires little to no down time.
Microneedling is often used to treat:
- Fine Lines
- Stretch marks
- Chicken pox scars
- Traumatic or surgical Scars
- Acne scars
How Many Treatments Will I Need?
Results can be expected after the first treatment but usually patients will require a series of 3 to 6 treatments spaced one month apart.
Factors that will influence your results
- The individual providing the treatment! Knowledge of facial anatomy and skin physiology is imperative for outstanding outcomes in all cosmetic treatments. Microneedling is no different.
- Here at Kessel Dermatology, your treatment is administered by a skincare expert. Our PA, Savy Guthrie, MPAS PA-C has 17 years of dermatology experience treating patients with all different types of skin conditions and is a master level injector of Botox and fillers.
- Following after care instructions.
- Lastly, the device that is being used. We believe in safety first. That is why we use the SkinPen.
What is the SkinPen?
SkinPen by Bellus Medical is the first Microneedling device in the world to be cleared/ approved by the U.S. FDA. It has been clinically proven safe and effective for the treatment of facial acne scars for patients ages 22 and up. It features non-reusable treatment heads and is safety sealed to prevent contamination of the handheld device with bodily fluids.
What to expect after your treatment
The skin may look red, be mildly swollen and/ or sensitive and there will be very small visible puncture marks. This will be most noticeable the first 24 hours and will resolve over the next 2 or 3 days. There is no restriction on activity and most people return immediately to their daily routine.
Photo compliments of SkinPen