As we age, our skin begins to lose collagen and elasticity. As a result, we develop wrinkles, sagging skin, fine lines and other signs of aging. If you are bothered by age-related skin imperfections, or you have other cosmetic concerns such as acne scars or surgical scars, microneedling may be of interest to you. What is microneedling, and how can it help rejuvenate your skin? Kessel Dermatology is here to tell you more about this popular cosmetic procedure.
What Is Microneedling?: How This Cosmetic Treatment Works
In order to understand the benefits of microneedling, it’s essential to become familiar with the steps involved in the skin repair process:
- Phase One: Inflammation – When the skin is pierced, it triggers an immune system response. New tissue creation begins as the immune system sends extra blood and disinfecting agents to the wound to promote healing.
- Phase Two: Proliferation – Fresh granulation cells and blood vessel networks develop to rebuild and repair the skin.
- Phase Three: Remodeling – Finally, new dermal tissues and blood vessels replace the wound, and healing is achieved.
Through the insertion of tiny sterile needles into the skin, microneedling prompts the body to cycle through the natural skin healing process. The result is increased collagen production, which helps to create firmer, smoother and more evenly toned skin.
What to Expect from Microneedling
Now that you know the answer to “what is microneedling?,” let’s review what patients can generally anticipate with this procedure:
- Typically, patients notice improvement in their skin’s appearance after a single microneedling session. However, a series of 3 to 6 treatments spaced one month apart will likely be needed to achieve optimal results with this procedure.
- Most patients require little to no downtime following the procedure and experience only mild skin redness, sensitivity and/or swelling in the treated area(s). Any side effects usually resolve within 2-3 days.
- Ultimately, your individual results will vary depending on a number of factors. This includes the number of treatments given, your adherence to aftercare instructions and the expertise of the treatment provider.
Explore Microneedling & Other Cosmetic Treatments at Kessel Dermatology
At Kessel Dermatology, our cosmetic dermatology expert Savy Guthrie MPAS, PA-C performs microneedling using the FDA-approved SkinPen. A master of facial anatomy and skin physiology with more than 17 years of dermatology experience, Savy is highly qualified to help you achieve your cosmetic goals through microneedling and other advanced procedures. To arrange a free consultation to discuss your skin concerns & appropriate treatment options with Savy, call Kessel Dermatology today at 609-890-2600!